We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Metallurgist or Materials Engineer to join and expand the technical team at Mettis Group, a leading Aerospace and Defence forge, heat treater and machinist based in Redditch. This leadership role in an ISO 17025 and Nadcap accredited laboratory team will require daily support for and interaction with the wider Mettis operations, engineering, quality and planning teams. It requires a strong will, determined attitude, and an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
The Senior Metallurgist / Materials Engineer will be furnished with the authority and resources to perform the duties within the scope of their responsibilities within the Laboratory structure. This includes implementing, maintaining and improving the management system. Any departures from this system or the testing and calibration procedures will be identified and actions to prevent or minimise these occurrences will be initiated, managed and resolved.
The candidate will be accountable for the flow down of internal and external material and material process related requirements and will contribute to Methods of Manufacture for products processed at Mettis with respect to metallurgical and other designated “special process” aspects. They will ensure that the company’s quality management and production systems are implemented and maintained and will provide technical knowledge to develop the materials engineering capabilities of the site.
This role is free from any undue internal and external commercial, financial, production and other pressures and influences that may adversely affect the decision-making process.
- Manage areas of the laboratory team of circa 20 heads and operating budget of £500k
- Update and control of the Laboratory Manual and Laboratory Instructions aligned to respective areas of delegated responsibility.
- Promote improvements to existing Laboratory processes and facilities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of and ensure conformance by all Metallurgists and Technicians to all specifications, manuals, procedures, and instructions related to the Laboratory function.
- Control of test non-conformances and carrying out investigations into test failures.
- Co-ordinate with other departments to ensure that the best quality of service is maintained to our customers and the rest of Mettis.
- Provide technical input to forging design and heat treatment of New and Repeat Product Introductions.
- Present technical information to senior technical and senior executive colleagues
- To act as a source of advice and training for technicians, junior members of the laboratory and engineering in order to grow and develop technical talents.
- Liaison with Mettis customers on technical and production matters.
- Assist with specification review and implementation in the laboratory and the wider Mettis business.
- Support laboratory and site audit schedule.
- Creation of heat treatment data cards and loading plans.
- Participate and progress personal objectives to aid continuous improvement throughout the business.
- Ensure personnel continue to meet the company’s health and safety and environmental requirements.
Required qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Degree in materials science or metallurgy
- Knowledge of steel, titanium and/or aluminium alloy forging/heat treatment
- Good general IT skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel & Outlook
- Health and Safety awareness in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of aerospace quality requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred or Optional experience and skills
- Experience using metal forming/forging simulation software (e.g. QForm)
- Knowledge of aerospace manufacturing
- Hardness, conductivity and/or NDT experience
- Chemical processing for aerospace applications knowledge or experience
- Knowledge of tooling material selection for forging applications
- Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer Status
- Compliance to EHS and legislative standards.
- Drive improvement in RFT in laboratory
- Improve forging and heat treatment RFT through materials knowledge input
- Testing and calibrations carried out in accordance with manuals, instructions and procedures with results reported as required.
- Maintain ISO/IEC 17025 and Nadcap MTL accreditation.
- Manage the periodic over check of operators to confirm compliance with Laboratory procedures
- To approve Laboratory and Quality Instructions and procedures associated with technical and metallurgical control of the company’s activities.
- To initiate actions to prevent or minimise departures from the requirements of internal and external quality systems and testing procedures.
- To issue a stop work instruction to suspend production and testing in the event that requirements of internal or external quality systems or procedures are not being met.
- Lead material and testing related development programmes.
- Measure and reduce test turn round time.
- Co-ordinating with manufacturing areas when carrying out any process related investigation
- Co-ordinating with internal and outside parties with regard to metallurgical development activities of the company
- To approve and sign reports which are required by our company approvals
- Manage and prioritise platform production release testing in conjunction with test and release team
- Manage the Metallurgical First Article Inspection and Periodic testing and report process
- Achieve budget
- Exploit opportunities to reduce external testing costs through cost competitiveness internal process
- Manage Laboratory team engagement in Nadcap special process audit and compliance activity
- Maintenance of Operator Skill Matrix for Laboratory function.
- Ensure Personnel are trained to and are capable of carrying out tasks stated in their job description and associated skills matrix
- Performance management
- Develop skill base and flexibility of Laboratory personnel
- KPI’s / PI’s to be maintained in line with accountabilities agreed at annual Performance and Development Review.
- Strategic future projects
- Role model for the Company’s Vision, Mission and Values
- Ambassador for Mettis Aerospace
Mettis Vision, Mission and Values
- Profitable and secure future investment.
- Centres of competence.
- Leaders who set industry standards.
- Deliver customer recognised value.
- Obsessed with eliminating waste.
- Enable the operation to perform.
- Challenge the status quo with pace, passion and rigour.
Vales / Principles
- We are credible professionals who set the standards.
- We are leaders not followers, bold and courageous.
- We are innovative, creative, agile and responsive.
- We engage, inspire, involve and respect.
- We have pride, passion and belief.
- Team work – together everyone achieves more.
- Contract: Full Time
- Term: Permanent
- Salary: Competitive Salary