Coronavirus (COVID-19) update – 26 May
Mettis continues to operate within the guidelines and recommendations provided by the UK Government, Public Health England and the World Health Organisation. Paramount is the health, safety, wellbeing and welfare of our people.
With air travel down over 90% and barely a day passing between new announcements of airlines around the world cancelling or suspending orders for new aircraft, significant cuts to delivery rates and other critical decisions, we continue to scale back our commercial aerospace operations accordingly, furloughing employees in the areas affected.
Our military operations are less affected with customers requiring us to deliver components according to existing plans and the Ministry of Defence classing our employees as ‘essential workers’ due to the nature of their work.
We continue to monitor the changing situation daily and are actively engaged with Government departments and agencies, our customers and suppliers.
Government guidance confirms that manufacturing workers can travel to work (details here) and extensive measures to protect all employees who continue working with us remain in place, including:
- The provision of personal protective equipment including material masks that can be washed and gloves for all our people.
- A rigorous cleaning regime carried out by a dedicated, full-time cleaning team. In addition we are carrying our regular, site-wide deep cleans, including our air conditioning systems to ensure they’re circulating fresh air.
- The provision of sanitation kits for all teams across our site which include cloths, surface cleaners and anti-bacterial spray.
- Hand sanitiser in high-traffic areas including clocking stations, rest areas and other key locations. To meet the increased demand, we’re now producing extra hand sanitiser in our state-of-the-art laboratory onsite.
- Shielding of those with known medical conditions.
- Requesting people to carry out their roles remotely where possible.
- Large meetings are not taking place and are replaced by virtual conferences.
- Robust communications including a comprehensive guidance pack provided to all operational managers and shared with their teams, SMS updates to all employees who have signed up as well as Coronavirus information posters displayed in all areas across our site on noticeboards, on our internal TV system and in break areas.
- Unless business critical, visitors and contractors are not permitted on our site and, those who are, will be screened prior to entry.
- Delivery drivers are restricted to their cabs.
- Travel is restricted and meetings, unless business critical, cancelled.
We truly appreciate everything our talented people are doing to help us keep delivering during these challenging times.